Tuesday, March 10, 2009

79 no more..

79 was the previous mark I got for my previous paper, and judging from the stick I got for it, I reckon it was pretty good.

So much so that my classmates started calling me 79 in Hokkien, which really sounds kinda stupid. Just imagine everyone in your group calling you that. That wasn't the best grade, but when I asked why those who fared better were spared of the name-bestowing, the reply I got was classic:
"Oh... 86 over speed limit, 79 still legal."
Well, but guess I can't get that upset with such a grade anyway. Haha.

Well, for better or for worse, I think this won't happen again for the recent paper that I took. If my entry doesn't sound like I'm too angry, I really should be.

Here's the story...

The entire cohort were told on Day 1 of the module that we will only be required to attempt ONE out of three questions in the examination. Everyone started preparing in a way such that his/her answers would be comprehensive and detailed enough for a one question examination.

So imagine our shock when we entered the examination hall and discovered that we had to attempt TWO questions. Being the one who thought he was ever so smart, I proceeded to do ONE question, because I believed the error would be duly rectified. Okay to be honest, I did not have a choice because out of what I prepared, only one question came out. But that's really not the point here!

The invigilators tried to contact University of Manchester staff regarding this, but it was a Sat noon so maybe they were all still sleeping (Time differerence). In the end, the majority did one question, a few did 1.5, and a couple of amazing ones did 2.

At that point of time, I was not in the least worried, and maybe even figuring what grade I would get this time. Then came the shocker from the programme director:

"The PMC examination results will be submitted for approval to the Board of Examiners, along with all the other exams/coursework results obtained during this academic year. Please reassure your colleagues that I have read their various explanatory messages sent to me (either directly or indirectly) after the exam and I will appraise the Board of Examiners (and the Mitigating Circumstances Committee) accordingly. The views and concerns of your colleagues will be presented at those meetings and, ultimately, it is for the Board of Examiners to decide whether and how to address those cases where only one examination question was attempted. "

To translate that to english, it means I'm screwed.

That email was sent out to the class and you start seeing angry emails shoot out from everyone and everywhere.

We will be having a meeting with the programme director this evening so probably things will be clearer after that.

Will update then...

5 comments:

drew said...

ahh..gotta love administration...

Anonymous said...

u know, theres this phrase in chinese, i really cant remember the words. i think its wei1 ji1 (ok im taking big chance here prob gonna get alot of shit if i get it wrong, just like wu liu ba qi). so basically it means something like theres always opportunity in threat. and in this situation all i see is a DAMN BIG OPPORTUNITY. theres almost no other way in hell could u have gotten away with doing just 1 question.

To translate that to english, it means you just hit the jackpot man.

drew said...

i actually agree with dz, which itself is quite a rare occurrence.

Swee said...

Wow DZ, your friends in Aust must be really impressed with ur chinese. Haha.

Come to think of it, that means I probably won't be telling you guys my grade for this module.

mel said...

lol.. who call u 79.. :)
and indeed.. within limit.. aint tat good