Friday, March 6, 2009

Maybe it's time to think about it...

It's been around 8 months since I last quit my job. During this period, I've rested, worked, slacked, studied, in what I would say is a good mix of all the 4 actions.

But one thing that really stuck out throughout the time I've left my job, is that I've been thinking really hard. And I figured that in the one year I was in my job, a lot of my brain cells probably went into retirement because I just didn't think much outside of my working life.

When you're in a job, it's too easy to fall into the rat race. You get a 9-5 job (my previous job was 830 to 630), slog your guts out for the company, gripe about the salary, office politics, and the fact that there are no pretty faces around, be the occasional bootlicker, and then what do you do?

You report to work the next day, and this entire process is repeated.

I'm definitely not in a good position to comment much about life as an employee, since my experience is seriously limited. But to be honest, it's not an experience I relish or in any case, much appreciate.

Just to relate my own account:
When I was working, I was pretty much in my small little world. Actually I wanted to call it my comfort zone, but I look back at my previous job with too much disgust to even consider using that term.

Back then, life was terrible. The only thing that kept me going was that with each passing day, it gets closer to the weekend and of course, the end of my contract term.

I still recall the day I signed on the dotted line.
The contract that bounded me to life as a miserable employee for 11 agonizing months.
And I really didn't have a choice back then. Breaking the bond meant I had to pay compensation of $10K - something which I well am not able to foot out.

So I stayed on.
The months passed,
the white hairs grew,
the acne popped out.

I think I'm still suffering from the repercussions of the job even till today. Damn!

Okay I really wanted to talk about what I have been thinking about since I quit my job but I keep digressing. Sorry, I just had to write out my frustrations back then. Haha.

---

So, I've been thinking of a lot of things. I've been trying to make money on my own since I officially became a "full time/part time" student. I know you've probably have heard this, but allow me to say it once more.

Why "full time part time"? Because I'm really a part time student who studies at night, only that its my full time occupation. =)

Okay maybe it's nothing to be proud of, but I never found student life that enjoyable before. It was my previous job that made me realise that. Sometimes I'm really glad I went through such an ordeal. It really makes me appreciate the finer side of things.

While I'm not exactly making big bucks now, at least I earn according to the amount of effort I put into my business. The potential is huge, and I've seen enough in recent months to know that I can scale it big. The problem is that I'm often guilty of being too lazy, which explains the inconsistent earnings.

I know that as long as I work hard, and smart, I can easily earn a lot more than what one gets with an employee's paycheck. And that is something I can never achieve while working under someone. That's the difference really.

I've been thinking of business ideas, ventures, so much lately that I'm getting overwhelmed at times. I have a feeling that something will happen soon, and I'm trying to faciliate that opening.

Watch this space!

And for those who are concerned, I've got a job now! But, I'm not an employee though. I'm hired on a project basis so I'm somewhat like a contractor offering my services. Will be involved in the training and marketing aspects of the company. And the good thing is, its very flexible and I can choose to work from home. =)

Salary wise, I honestly think it could be better, but I'll take it. I'm viewing this as a stepping stone to future opportunities and I think the experience will do me good.

Now, am I still a full time part time student? Haha.

**I actually have a lot more to write about but I'll leave it for another day. Good night!


8 comments:

drew said...

still doesnt excuse the horrid products you try to sell to others...

Swee said...

I wasn't selling that! zz

Anonymous said...

andrew..dun blame him. its a fact that sex SELLS. lol

DZ said...

wah damn long post. can someone summarise

drew said...

basically he's saying that hes been thinking alot. and now he's turned emo.

Anonymous said...

its great that you're planning for the future!
and in times like these, a job is really the best thing you can have right now.
so go for it!
all the best! ;)

Shaun Png said...

i know. go into teaching. i am considering that man. tuition teacher rox.. the boyssss... so cute..

Swee said...

Shaun, why are you expressing your paedophilic and gay tendencies here?!