Saturday, May 30, 2009

Recession Proof?

Have you been hit by the recession?

Maybe you have, but I don't feel it. I know there are many who have suffered from the brunt of this relentless recession, but I have to hold my hands up and say that I haven't been affected. Before you decide to click on the comment box and slam me for being insensitive, hear me out first.

I think I would have felt it, or be feeling it, if I have mouths to feed. The fact that I'm 24 (soon) and not exactly supporting my family yet, means I do not have much of a responsibility now. Sure, I set lofty goals for myself, but it really does help that no one is giving me an ounce of stress.

But this post is not about my boring goals. It is all about a message I wanna send across...
You are who you think you are..
If you are an IT graduate and you think you're only good for a job as a technician, then you will just be a technician.

If you are a business graduate and you are willing to work in an admin job, then you will just be an admin executive.

Even if you are a first class honours student, it does not matter if you do not see your own worth and settle for whatever is given to you.

I have seen quite a few people around who very qualified, yet they take up jobs which are many rungs below their capabilities. What makes it even more frustrating is that they do not seem to be happy with their jobs, yet they do not do anything about it.

Okay this is not meant to be a motivational post, but if you're in need of some, I hope you get it here.
See the worth in yourself, and strive for the best.
Never settle for second. It quickly becomes a habit.
When you are young, you really have nothing to lose. It's the best time to create a path of your own, and do things you would not dare 10 years down the road.

You might say you don't have time for that. But have you thought about what do you have time for? You don't have time because..
  1. You have to work 9-5.
  2. You have to go home for dinner after work.
  3. You have to shop and get your daily dose of Starbucks.
  4. You need to walk your dog and groom it daily.
  5. You have to meet your supper kakis for brotherhood bonding.
So... you have time for all these but you don't have time for what you really should be doing?
Not enough time is really a misnomer. We don't have time, we only waste time. We can never keep hold of time in our hands, we can only lose it every minute.

What I really wanna say is that when you say you don't have time for this or that, it just means you prefer to devote your time to other stuff you deem important.

If you decide to skip your friend's wedding because of work, it's because you think work is more important.

If you decide to skip class and go to the airport, it's because you think classes are a waste of time. (sounds familiar... hmmm)

If you decide to meet your girlfriend and forgo your friends, it's because you think your girlfriend is more important. (or you have shitty friends)

If you decide not to answer SMSes and leave your friend hanging in limbo, it's because you think they are not worth the $0.05.

The key here is prioritization.

Hope that provides some food for thought.

Good night!

6 comments:

ice said...

i second that totally!
now's really the time for us to chase our dreams + do what we want.

whatever we have been dreaming of since our younger days...before we grow old and regret. haha

knowing what we want helps alot in prioritization too

angie said...

nice one there on priority in life. u can never have enough time in a lifeline. it really depends on how u CHOOSE to utilize it. opportunity cost, i would say.

but somehow or another, it's human nature to choose one thing, and lament not choosing the other. not to mention, cracking your brains to come up with all kinds of excuses for not choosing the latter. it's innate, and i'm guilty of it too.

angie said...

argh, i meant lifetime. haha. where did 'lifeline' come out from (??)

Swee said...

@Ice: I figured you would share the same sentiments too.

@Angie: Lifeline, lifetime...You're not wrong actually. Both can be applied. =)

DZ said...

ay now i got reply sms already

alvin said...

but swee you still <3 me when you dont see me at soccer right..cos you know