Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Dear Child...

My dear child, Makara wrote to me!

The letter was actually a mixture of english (probably written by the ChildFund representative) and khmer (I think), the official cambodian language. So I would assume the khmer words were from him, because they were written with a pencil and it looked right out of a child's handwriting.

He even made a pencil tracing of the outline of his fingers.. That's the thing we all used to do when we were young. Haha

Sometimes I think this could just be a scam - the children could be bogus, and the letters sent to me are all written by adults who are laughing at someone who is stupid enough to send money to others half the world away. And I've had friends who had told me likewise too.

But...... I think I choose to believe in the good things.

And I'm glad that what I'm doing here, is going to a greater cause elsewhere. :)

7 comments:

ice said...

schweeeeeeeet!

im sure it will charm the ladies!

HEHE

but seriously, well done! :)

Swee said...

Hmmm maybe I should take the train more often... Train rides bring people together sometimes... ;)

ice said...

HAHA

BITCHY you!

lol

drew said...

dude, there was a BBC correspondent that often received letters from the child he was sponsoring. it was often written in english that was realistically written by a 5 year old.

so anyway one day he had a chance to visit the village, and he went to see the kid he was sponsoring. the kid could barely speak a word of english, let alone write out proper letters.

don't carry too much hope that its from makara. after all, they're just using ur donation to fund a more sustainable approach to aiding the village.

or maybe they're just swindling off your cash. like your table tennis coach.

Swee said...

Actually I don't doubt the possibility (likely a fact) that the child neither speaks nor writes english. If anything, it was written from ChildFund, but maybe from the family's perspective.

But I do think that it is a good effort by them in trying to foster such a relationship.

Oh well, it's seldom that I'm not skeptical so maybe it's a good thing.

Unknown said...

Hugs! Now u feel like Angelina Jolie to me =) Muackz!

Swee said...

Can I be Brad Pitt instead?

Okay I'll ask Mitchell if she wants another "mum"..