Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Economics of Relationships (Part Deux)

Because this could very likely be the subject matter of my thesis, I thought it would be good if I could finish it up. Imagine this,:

Dr Lua
PhD in Economics (Love)

Now, that would really look awesome on my CV.

---

So, to continue from where my previous post left off, I shall attempt to dissect the next genre of men when it comes to the society today. If you had missed the first part of this wonderful topic, you can read it here - The Economics of Relationships (Part One)

Meanwhile, I reckon I better touch on this genre before they disappear all too quickly and become extinct. So to start things off:

Genre 2 - Good Men (Subjective demand, Dwindling supply)

Rule Number 1 of Economics: The higher the demand, the higher the supply. Due to the overwhelming demand and success of Genre 1 - Bad Men, it's almost inevitable that just about every guy dreams of entering that realm.

That is the place to be. The group to be in. Utopia, if you like to see it that way.
It's almost similar to the theory that you will only go to Heaven if you convert to a particular religion.

Pardon the drift, but what I'm really saying here is that every religion deserves respect. While you may have different beliefs, you can't force upon your ideas on others.


Back to my point. Like how that old adage goes, "All good things come to an end". And just to show off my brilliant Chinese vocabulary, "夕阳无限好, 只是近黄昏". But in all honesty, this trend simply cannot be avoided.

I say that because that is really how the cookie crumbles.

Think about it, have you seen movies where the good men are surrounded by a bevy of ladies? That only happens with the bad guys. The ones who are all dressed in black suits, have a cigar stuck to their lips, and have one lady on each lap.

If you are a boy who's struggling to combat those raging hormones during puberty, you can be forgiven for turning to the dark side, or rather the more popular side. You are not at fault if you find yourself idolizing a really cool bad guy back in your childhood. Well, I have been guilty of that too. While you might not have a good ending, as with most movies, chances are that you would have had your fair share of fun and died a happy death.

So, what place does a typical good man have in the society now? When he meets a connoisseur, that is. Not everyone knows how to appreciate the good stuff; it takes time and understanding.

It's an acquired taste.

Just like durian, honeysuckle tea, nasi lemak. You either love it, or you hate love it even more.


Disclaimer: This entry was written without any form of malice from the author. If you think you are being mentioned in any part of the article, you are not, unless you are part of the endangered species of good men. The author firmly believes in setting up a conservation campaign for this endangered species before they become extinct, and become just a topic in your secondary school History or Science textbook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for my side of the argument, pls click on my blog!

Anonymous said...

dear dr lua,

now it's getting more exciting because someone is challenging ur thesis. ha. having read both sides, i prefer drew's argument more because of this one phrase: "Girls do want their guys to grow up someday you know." in every sense, yes.

and good boys ain't that hard to love/find la. ha. most girls (ok at least for myself) would want someone long-term. bad boys are temporal in my limited understanding/experience. good boys are less appealing at first sight, but they last.

so, d'accord to the connoiseur part. well, it applies to every relationship, no? be it bad boys or good boys, the girl must be a connoisseur of sort to even like him in a first place. and it takes substantial taste to sustain that love.

regards,
a follower of ur thesis (angie)

Anonymous said...

As much as Dr-Lua-to-be would hate to admit, I guess I left out that important aspect of elasticity in my argument. Haha. It's interesting to see what others have to say..

I really should have had more hindsight. Or maybe I was just disillusioned. =)