Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hermit. Me. & The Economics of Friendship

It's been a while since I last made my way out of the house, other than the times I had to go for classes. Today must have been the first time in a few weeks that I actually went to a shopping mall with someone, and took in some fresh, and much needed air. And I rather enjoyed it.

I have come to realise that it takes time for me to warm up to people, and it's something in me since young. Call me shy, call me anti-social, but I guess it's really just me. I'd like to think I'm a friendly guy though... Hmmm, let's just say it's a latent quality, something the casual stranger would not realise in the initial stages.

Place a clam in the fire, and it opens up after the heat radiates through...
I guess I open up, literally, in the same way too. Haha..

I'm mentioning this because it's hard to find someone who you can engage in a meaningful and comfortable conversation all the time. I'm not referring to your ability to converse here, but rather the positive emotions that you derive from such an exchange. Personally, I find meaningful conversations especially engaging.

---

The Economics of Friendship

I have been having this niggling thought lately:

Friendship:
To be expected, or to be maintained?

I always think relationships and friendship require maintenance, and if you can't be bothered, chances are, soon you won't even have to bother anymore. I believe when it comes to friendship, you reap what you sow. And this is totally unlike love, where you can't expect reciprocity if the other person just doesn't like you.

If you don't make it a point to keep the friendship going, it will just fade away. It's really about mutual respect and how much you value him/her. Sure, there are times when you are too busy, but if you can find time to stay online and chat on msn the whole day, you can meet your friend for a simple meal too.

It does not take a genius to differentiate between the truth and an excuse. So don't expect your friend to keep trying his/her luck in asking you out when you just decline/reject her bluntly with your latest trick (excuse) in your book. I know, because I've been guilty of the convenient excuse very often too.

I'm not referring to anyone here, so don't be too sensitive. Just some thoughts from someone who has been at both ends of the equation here. And to quote my own experience, I find it especially hard to take when one has time for everything and everyone else, except me. Is time really the problem here, or is the lack of effort to blame? To be honest, there are times when I have been left disillusioned.

And to add in my favourite quote, "An inconvenient truth, or a convenient excuse?"
Or maybe I am just expecting too much here.

Yawns...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm always ready for a meal with u my man.

p/s: this song brings back memories eh.

Anonymous said...

well, a succinct insight on the dark side of friendship i must say.

i totally hear u on the convenient excuse. I have been on the giving side of one such friendship, so much so that I felt shameful asking the person out time and again after her heap of supposed reasons. in the end, the friendship reduced to a mere hi and bye on the street. sad, but truth be told, i was expecting such an end. after all, it takes two to tango, no? :)

Anonymous said...

so when u literally open up like a clam, does that mean we get to see a rubbery orange mass inside of you?

mel said...

u're not talking abt me getting lost rihgt.. hm... :x lol

Swee said...

Replies, in no particular order of preference...

Ter: I'm sure you miss my rendition of that song, as much as I miss your Dong Jie...

Angie: I think I can picture that scene too, and it's kinda saddening. Sometimes it just makes you view friendship and its vulnerability in a different light.

Drew: Yes, you will see me au naturel. =)

Melissa: What do you think? Haha...

mel said...

yes.. u are referring to me..
arh.. mean thing.. kick1