Friday, November 7, 2008

Loyalty Personified

I just had to write something, after reading this tribute to Ryan Giggs on Soccernet.

He's turning 35, and this is his 18th year at the club since he first broke into the first team when he was only 17. I mean, where can you find such a player nowadays? It's all about the money and fame nowadays. Loyalty, and gratitude are all thrown out of the window when you there is so much money at stake.

I might not have started watching football when Giggs first broke into the first team, but I think I managed to see his best years.

Who can forget his mad, grossly hairy, goal celebration when he scored the winner against Arsenal in the FA Cup? Of course, he is remembered for much more than that, but that is one of the moments that made me proud as a Man Utd fan.

From this...

...to this

At his peak, he was virtually peerless. Defenders were often left grasping thin air as he flashed down the left wing time and time again.

Giggs on the left,
Beckham on the right,
Scholes and Keane in the middle,
Yorke and Cole up front..

Those were the times... and to be honest, even till today, that is the team that I like best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he did have a rival.

STEVE MCMCANAMAN!!!!

Shaun Png said...

hahaa. that was the team that really warmed our hearts as man u fans.