Saturday, May 17, 2008

What does a plant need?

From this,


to this..

When things started to go wrong..

then to this...


I stand tall

This was a birthday present to me last year. I've been watering it dutifully and giving it more than its fair share of sunlight by the window ever since it moved to my office. Just to give you a brief idea of how bad I am with plants and taking care of them, I had actually managed to kill a cactus by over-watering it. That had been my first and last attempt at owning a plant prior to this.

Well this time round, it all started very brightly. As you can see from the first two pictures, it really blossomed nicely and I was starting to think maybe I really had green fingers.

Then, it took a downturn too fast, too drastic, and too sudden. Today, it is a pale shadow of its glorious past and its head of crowning glory has all but been reduced to a pathetic and single stalk. It saddens me when I see it in its state now.

I get even more pissed when the boss comes around to my desk and makes a mockery of it.

"What would you do if I snip it off and stick it back using scotch tape?"

before breaking out into some self-invoked peals of laughter yet again.

Deep inside, it feels as if the state of the plant is reflective of what all that had happened. I cant help but feel that its somewhat symbolic. And maybe, there's a reason why all the rest of the stalks have withered but this one stalk remains standing up strong.

Not that it is all dead and buried though. Many new stalks have been sprouting up but they all wither before long.

That day, my colleague came over and expressed concern for it.

"Swee, what happened to your plant?
You know, maybe when this last stalk dies, you will find your next girlfriend..."

That was out of the blue and I dont remember that I ever told her about my breakup.
Whatever that would mean, I hope I won't see the last of my plant anytime soon. It means pretty much to me, and is one of the few things in the office that actually has life...

Something
that I need.

No comments: