Monday, March 31, 2008

290308

Friday night ended early and I was looking forward to playing soccer the next morning. Just when I was about to start preparing, CH smsed me and said Toon Ren cant make it and we had to cancel it. It's hard to gather enough people nowdays, with their exams around the corner.

I was just lamenting the other day..
Why dont people realise that there's always time for soccer? If only everyone thinks alike. Haha.

So the morning was spent helping my mum prepare a Hakka specialty - 茨粉果, or ,more otherwise known as 算盘子, or "abacus beads".
My mum's Hakka so she knows how to prepare all these Hakka delicacies. For the culturally-ignorant, this is how it looks like:

No prices for guessing how it derived its name

My mum simply loves to cook/bake and to share with others all her wonderful recipes. Sometimes I wonder why she bakes so much but gives everything away. I guess I get the answer when she tells me all the rave reviews she gets from her friends and how everyone wants to learn from her. And she's really willing to share all of that she knows. I could sit down and listen to her as she introduces all her disciples to me one by one. Haha.

Too bad that she doesnt have a daughter she can pass on her culinary skills to. The best we can do is to get her a daughter-in-law who has the same passion too. So if you are one, you can subtly let me know. Haha.

----

The afternoon was spent cycling at ECP with my fyp mates. The weather was great, a far cry from the rainy and wet days for most of the past week. We were supposed to cycle from one end to the other but because of the too many bouts of "Wah, I didnt know East Coast changed so much!" from the West-erners, it was never gonna happen. Haha.


That was then followed by an early birthday dinner for Wenxi at Parkway Thai Restaurant. The food was pretty alright and rich enough to make the girls complain that all the cycling had come to naught. Haha.


I enjoyed myself and I think everyone did too, although it was upsetting to know that the cycling trip was planned with no intention of asking me along at all. Well, but I understand. So, no worries!

----

Anyway, I did manage to play soccer after all. My brother's friends had booked a football court at ECP and I asked CH and KY along as well. KY hadn't played in like a year and his touches certainly showed that. Haha. Well, at least he got a goal and an assist. You should join us for more games, I wouldn't mind an addition to our team on Saturday! On another note, I'm beginning to like playing on the ECP courts more and more. If anyone of you have games there, ask me along too.

The ending to a great day was completed with Man Utd running out easy 4-0 winners.
=)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude.. would absolutely love to try out your mom's recipes.

if possible.. thanks in advance!

p.s. post in english.. no chinese pls..

Thiang! said...

Tsk, more like you trying to get a gf in a not-so-subtle way! :D

Do you cook?