Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Since young, I think I've always had a bit of this show off streak in me.
The desire to show off and prove to others that I've got what it takes.

And all that, at the cost of 3 scars on my face!
2 on each side of my eyebrows, and 1 on the chin. I can vividly remember how 2 of the scars came about, but not the last one. Had to ask my mum and even then, it doesn't ring a bell at all.

I got the first one on the chin while at the playground. Think I was in the lower primary then. You know back then, playgrounds were still filled with sand and were so much better than the ones you find nowadays. How can you have fun at the playground without sand?!

See-saws, swings, slides, animal structures.. Simple yet fun. Anyway, the harmless animal structures were exactly what caused my first scar.

I was with my elder brother and we were competing to see who could jump from animal to animal. Being the elder, he went first and of course, he did it easily.
Not being smart enough to judge that the difference in 2 years would equate to inferior jumping ability, I went ahead without caution...

...and landed on the animal not with my feet, but chin instead. (Sidetrack: I've since grown taller than my bro!)

I still remember the playground was filled with my blood. Mixture of blood and sand.. Thinking back, I was most afraid of letting my parents find out, no recollection of the pain whatsoever.

That cost me 3 stitches.


The second one was the one that I had to ask my mum about. According to her, I got it while playing at my great-grandfather's room and knocked my head against a sharp edge while jumping down. (Don't ask me why I like to jump that much then).

That cost me 11 stitches.


The third one happened during secondary school, and the most stupid and hilarious of the lot. Haha.

After a table tennis competition, we were supposed to go back to school for lessons. Not that we heeded anyway, and we went to my friend's condo and played soccer. That proved to be a costly mistake, as I found out..

We played at this small grass patch at the condo premises. Determined to show off, I got the ball off DZ and said the line that soon became infamous later.

"Let me show you how to solo solo!"

I set off on my razzle and dazzle dribble.

Past one... two...
SMACK!

Whacked my head against the wall that was oblivious to me. Because of how stupid it actually happened, I think my friends were more amused than concerned.
The culprits: DZ, CS, LKY, Zhiwen, and maybe a few others. Not that I blame them though. Haha.

The swell was humongous. I didnt think it was that big till I looked at myself in the mirror at Zhiwen's place. So I went in search of a clinic with a bloodied head on the streets. To make things worse, it was during lunch time and most were closed.

We walked a fair bit before we finally found a 24 hr clinic, Grace Polyclinic. (since closed down due to exorbitant rates, or so I heard)

That cost me 7 stitches.


I proceeded to play in the rest of the table tennis competition with a bandage on my eyebrow. Can't remember what I told the coach how my injury came about then. He would have left me out. Haha. Table tennis always played second fiddle to soccer. I would skip training just to play soccer!

-------------------------
So, 3 scars and 20 over stitches later, I think I have learnt my lesson..
At least, I can think back and laugh about it.. Haha

No comments: