Thursday, March 13, 2008

Of democracy & autocracy...

Hands up, the many of you who think that Singapore is a democratic country.
And those who think you know what is democracy, put up your legs as well.

I always think about the extent of democracy that is enjoyed in Singapore. How do you define democracy? Reciting the pledge since we were young and subconsciously taking it as it is written?

..to build a Democratic society, based on justice and equality
(For the benefit of those who are not patriotic enough like me to remember the lyrics by heart.)


Putting one and one together and synchronizing 'Democratic' & 'Singapore'?

I was talking to the boss the other day and he told me of his account with this interviewer, back when he was younger.
The interviewer was a very intelligent guy and he made this statement:

"You know, so many Singaporeans are always complaining about the lack of democracy that we get. I really wonder if they know what they are talking about..

Do they not realise that everyday, they are stepping into an even more autocratic environment? So many of them go about it without even realizing!

In my company, I do not need your vote... I do not need to go for trials, and I do not have to cater to you.. What I say counts, even without your approval..
Isn't that a very fine example of autocracy already?"



In the end, it all boils down to perspectives again. I have my reservations , even though I believe Singapore is what it is today because it is so good at doing this. Let's just say, I am a considerable skeptic..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

singapore's idea of democracy is a joke. because it isn't even democracy!

in fact...i believe the more ideal word would be fascism...although not like mussolini's brand of it. but a more modernized and acceptable type of it.